Today is very special because Marie Watts Barclay, my awesome sister-in-law, is celebrating the release of her debut novel The First Book of Avnas- a fantasy thriller which is the first in a series to come- and we couldn't be more excited!
To jump start a new series on the blog called Yes, No, Maybe- where interviewees answer questions with (that's right!) a yes, no, or maybe- Marie happily agreed to be my first interview. Thanks girl!
(And stay tuned because, after the interview, you'll get a chance to check out the first few pages of Avnas for free! How's that for starting off your week?)
1. Now that your first book has been released- and you're working on the second in the series- do you plan on writing for other genres?
Yes! I am also writing a WWII story based on actual events, so I definitely plan to tackle other genres.
2. Do you schedule your writing time?
No. Haha! I'm actually terrible at scheduling my writing time. I told myself a while back that I would write at least two hours a day, but that hasn't happened yet. I've noticed it has to be something I feel passionately about at the time. I have to be in the mood to write; otherwise the words just won't come.
3. Amie, the main character in your debut, is feisty and adventurous. Does she take after you at all?
Yes. I like to think that I wrote myself into Amie a lot. She has my flaws, but also my courage. She struggles with what is evil but still knows what is good in her heart.
4. Most authors have a special place to go and write. Do you have one, too?
Yes! Haha. My bedroom, usually. the kids have to be asleep before I write. I need quiet, which I rarely ever get.
5. I'm a Starbucks kind of girl, and I like to have my go-to drink when I write. Do you have a drink of choice?
No, although I do love Starbucks. I actually do most of my writing late at night when everybody else is asleep. If I'm drinking anything, it's usually water.
6. Will you continue to take the self-publishing route? Or will you try your hand at traditional publishing?
Maybe. I would love to try my hand at the traditional publishing route, but it is harder to get your words out there that way. Instead of hearing 'no' I knew I would get my words out there faster. I would love to be picked up by a publishing company though.
7. Can we get a sneak peek at The First Book of Avnas here?
Yes! Amazon has the first three chapters available on their website. Just click on the book cover where it reads "Look what's inside!"
Awesome! Thanks, Marie, for stopping by to say hello. I'm so proud of you!
If you want to know more about Marie, follow her on Facebook, Twitter, or check out her official blog here. And remember to go get your copy of The First Book of Avnas!